11.12.12

About a throw that's finally finished...

About a year ago,
I decided I wanted to make a plaid with a certain seventies vibe.
And now, 285 squares further, it's ready. Ready!
I think it does have a vintage feel about it....

So here it is!

ByHaafner, crochet, plaid, throw, seventies vintage style, handmade, crochet, vintage wallpaper, granny squares,





















Ready for a cosy afternoon with hot almond milk chocolate & a book...

ByHaafner, crochet, plaid, throw, seventies vintage style, handmade, crochet, vintage wallpaper, granny squares,




















And this is what it looks like as a bed cover...

ByHaafner, crochet, plaid, throw, seventies vintage style, handmade, crochet, vintage wallpaper, granny squares, bed cover





















[Edit September 5th 2015] 
Please click here for the pattern and chart for the Granny Flower Squares.

ByHaafner, crochet, plaid, throw, seventies vintage style, handmade, crochet, vintage wallpaper, granny squares,





















I used the join-as-you-go method for joining the squares. Normally I only use this method if motifs have the same outer colour (same colour in the last round). Otherwise the colours of the different motifs seem to bleed into eachother where you make the join, which makes the result sometimes a bit messy. However, with the muted colours I used for this throw it doesn't bother me.

ByHaafner, crochet, plaid, throw, seventies vintage style, handmade, crochet, vintage wallpaper, granny squares, crochet lacy border


















I  decided to go for a somewhat lacy edging. Which meant spending quite some time flipping through my crochet books and looking on the internet. 

However, I was worried the border might ruffle. So I crocheted the border with a smaller hook than the squares. The squares were crocheted with a 4 mm hook, the middle border rows with a 3,5 mm hook. It turned out fine. No ruffles!

Hope you like it!
(And I'd love to hear what your favourite joining method is...)

23 comments:

  1. It's beeeee-oooootiful!! Lovely edging!!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very beautifull and I like the vintage colors. About the joining method. Its depending of what I am making. Look at my granny plaid, its a good way to join and its flat. NOw I am busy with the join as you go, its ok, but you must decide where you put the colors and you can't shuffle around with your grannies. Do you understand what I want to say? byebye

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is stunning, I absolutely love it! The styling of the posting is also great. The lacy edging is out of this world and a perfect finish to the throw!

    I used a joining method as illustrated by Carina and everyone just love it. http://pigstails.blogspot.com/2012/09/48-square-throw-finished.html

    I also like the one where squares are joined with single stitches by keeping the wrong sides of the squares together so that the join forms a rib.

    Eeek I am bad on crochet terminology, I am sure my joining preferences have proper names . . .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooohhh!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!! I looooooove it!!!!! I looooooooo your work!!!!! Congratulations, it is very, very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all, thanks for taking the time to comment here - I really appreciate it a lot!

    And thanks for commenting on your favourite joining method.
    @francienshaakwerk: Ik weet precies wat je bedoelt! / I know what you mean, it's nice if you're able to make a 'composition' after you've completed all the squares, instead of having to decide while you're 'on the go'. (With this particular throw it didn't matter as much, because I only used four colours).
    @pigtails Thanks, I'm glad the styling came out as it did! I do find it difficult to make a good photo of this kind of projects... Re. the joining methods: I used Carina's method for my first granny plaid, it's a fab method! And BTW: I love your Little Karoo throw. :-)

    All best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deze deken is echt prachtig geworden!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, nice cappo/chocolatey colours!
    I use mainly join-as-you-go in a final round of the same colour. Didn't like it at first, but have now grown to love it. I've seen a braided finish that also want to try sometime. I've only stitched together an item once :-) Usually I like my joins to be plain and flat - it must be the one side of my Gemini brain kicking in...
    Your lacy edging works very nice here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reaction, Stel!
      I've never tried the braided join either, but I definitely want to give it a try some time (it does seem a timeconsuming method because you have to drop your loop all the time).
      How brave of you to stitch a piece together! Re. your preference for plain & flat joins: yes, I totally understand. ;-)

      Delete
  8. absolutely lovely! very nice with the lacy edge.
    Inez, ineseda.blogspot.com

    PS: found you through Annemarie's haakblog

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful blanket, I love the colours and the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a lovely plaid with a beautiful edging.

    Groetjes, Monique

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wat een mooie deken en vooral ook mooie rand! Heb je gevonden via CreJJtion. Vorige keer heeft ze over mijn blog (colorncream.blogspot.com) geschreven. Het heeft je in elk geval weer een volger opgeleverd! Liefs Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love this! Don't know how I got to your blog but I'm glad I did. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute project you do, and the pictures are very professional... happy 2013

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Afghan is Gorgeous!! I really love the colors you chose!! It seems most afghans are very colorful lately... a very popular trend. Your color choices are classic and have staying power. What a lovely classic vintage vibe. ;)Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your afghan. I was so excited to see it on pinterest as I have been looking (for about a year) for a color-way that uses four colors, and your blankie happened to have the same colors I am looking for!
    How did you decide on how the colors for the squares went, and which ones you were going to join together? I would like to do a similar blanket with verigated colors amongst the four colors, with a main color to join.
    Do you also have a photo of the whole blanket? I can't believe you made (and joined) 256 squares! That completely blows my mind!
    It is an amazing blanket, and you are an amazing person
    XX
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn,

      Wow, you're too kind - thank you so much! Just a quick message: Of course I'd love to elaborate on my blanket & its colour scheme - once I get going I won't stop... ;-) I'm a bit short on time right now, so just give me a day or two for that.
      Thanks again!
      xHaafner
      PS. If you mail me your email address I'll mail you a pic of the whole throw.

      Delete
    2. HI Haafner,
      My email is xyphir@hotmail.com I would love to see the whole throw. I'm busy trying to finish a purple and white throw, and also a cream/green (can't decide what color the wool is!) one... THEN I give myself permission to start the browns one. :D

      Delete
  16. It is a very beautiful throw. I would love to know where online you found the pattern for the lacy edging.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its very beautiful and I like the vintage colors. About the joining method. Its depending of what some one is making. it is an art work everybody can't do it.

    http://www.home-soul.co.uk/Vintage-Kantha-Throw.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a Beautiful blanket; Love the colors; I adore the lacy edging; I would love to know where you came up with it from; as I would love to recreate this look for a blanket. Many Thanks. My email is momwebber@wtciweb.com

    ReplyDelete